In the middle of pandemic and with abundance of theories, stories and researches, one thing stands common. That is IMMUNITY. Immunity is going to be your savior during this entire span.
Immunity is not just about popping in pills, multivitamins and super foods. It’s dependent on nutrition, but also on your sleep and physical activity and most importantly emotional health. In short, it’s the lifestyle that builds in your immunity. And thus, all by previous posts were more about sleep and exercise. Going further I would like to highlight top foods in your kitchen that can help u build your immunity.
COVID-19: foods that boost immunity.
- Spices – Ginger, garlic, turmeric, black pepper, cumin, fennel, star anise, fenugreek seeds, clove, cardamom, cinnamon
Star anise contains shkimic acid, the active ingredient in TAMIFLU – a medicine used to treat influenza virus. While this COVID-19 is a mutated virus, star anise helps in boosting immunity.
Turmeric contains curcumin an active ingredient boost the immune system.
- Herbs – tulsi, lemon grass, oregano
- Coconut oil – cold/pressed /wet milled
- Raw honey
- Quality source of protein – lentil, pulses, legumes, beans
- Nuts and seeds – specially walnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds)
- Fruits and vegetables – lemons, oranges, pomegranate, amla, sweet potato, pumpkin
- Probiotics – yogurt / curd, rice kanji
- Prebiotics – garlic, apple cider vinegar, banana
An immunity boosting tea recipe:
Take two cups of water, boil one whole star anise in it along with:
3 black peppercorns
1 cracked elaichi (Cardamom)
1 cinnamon stick
Half tsp turmeric powder
1-inch mashed ginger
1-2 cloves garlic – mashed or minced
Boil all of this into half (till water reduces to 1 cup), simmer for 2 minutes strain and consume warm.
Along with all of the above immunity boosters, also promise on your sleep, emotional and physical activity. This along with the immunity boosting foods listed above will create a perfect environment.