With the corona virus pandemic all our lives have shifted up and down, not only physically but mentally as well. Most of my clients are not able to follow the routine as their daily clocks have shifted. With the
stress of this scary virus, many people are also facing stressful life challenges. Lots of people who were working in restaurants or are self employed have either lost their jobs or had their income cuts. They
sleep late and wake up late that have an internal impact leading to brain fogging all the day. On top the constant news and the social media increases your mental load.
So what can we do to support our mental well-being during this time? Try some of these tips.
1) Practice self care: As mentioned above, it’s easy for you to slip into habit of sleeping late and spend your whole day in pajamas. Trust me even a simple task such as washing your face make lot of differences to the way u feel. Following points are included in self care
- Ensure you are in a well ventilated room. Also try to get 15 minutes of morning sunlight. It affects the serotonin levels that impact your mood.
- Healthy eating with lots of hydration – eating a balanced diet and small and frequent meals plays a major role in mental well being
- Sleep on time. Don’t stay up after 10:30/11:00 pm and let your body gets rejuvenated for the next day.
2) Set up the daily routine: Being at home impact your routine which can affect your appetite as well as sleep. Setting up a daily routine might help you spend the day more productive, energetic and can help you stay happy. Try to do the following thing that I do
- Wake up early and spend some time on exercising and taking the morning sunlight before 8:00 am
- Have a healthy breakfast before 9:00
- Morning is the period when you brain is most active and productive. Lend morning hours to your office related things. Make sure you don’t miss a healthy snack in between
- Finish your lunch before 1:30 pm. Post which do healthy snacking every 2.5 hours.
- Post which you can spend your time with your family and kids. Play different board games, watch a nice family movie, can use your social media profiles and fulfill all the hobbies that you have.
- Make sure you don’t take more than 30 min of power nap in the afternoon. As that my delay your sleep in the night.
3) Set up buddy group: This is the best way to improve your mental health. Talking to your friends and family is the best way to improve your mental well being. But make sure you don’t share any forward messages related to pandemic or discuss the news or debating topics there. Instead,
share what you do whole day, play online games together – can play antakshari, dum sharers, and many more. That way you can support each other as well.
4) Distract yourself: Writing down your thoughts and feelings can help you offload any worries and fear you have. Keep yourself busy in activities craft, painting, reading, cooking, baking, gardening, helping in household work, etc.